Electrical Safety Tips

Since the advent of electricity, we have enjoyed the comfort and convenience it brings to our daily lives. However, if you are not careful, electricity can be very dangerous.  

At Mister Sparky®, we care about your safety. Sadly, we’ve seen our fair share of homeowner mistakes when it comes to electrical safety. We’ve compiled a list of some of the most common hazards and oversights we see. Keeping them in mind will help you avoid an accidental electric shock, burn or fire and improve the safety of you and your family.
  • Exposed Extension Cords - Keep extension cords covered out of the way of foot traffic. Exposed cords can be a tripping hazard, and if you have pets, quite dangerous if your pet decides to chew on them with their pointy little teeth. It’s also important to make sure the extension cords you are using are in good condition. Do not take a chance of electric shock or igniting a fire by using cords with frays, cracks or major kinks.
  • Not Following Usage Guidelines – Always follow manufacturer’s instructions when using electrical appliances.
  • Using the Wrong Light Bulb – Obey the wattage requirements listed on lamps and fixtures. Using a light bulb with too many watts can cause the element to overheat and possibly start a fire. Always screw the light bulb into the socket tightly to avoid sparks or shorts.
  • Uncovered Outlets – Especially if you have young children, it is important to keep outlets covered with childproof caps if they are not in use. Young children are prone to inserting small toys and other items into outlets and can receive an electrical shock as a result.  Whether you have children or not, all outlets should have secured faceplates.
  • Using Portable Heaters - Avoid using portable electric heaters. If you must use them, keep them at least 3 feet from bedding, curtains and other flammable upholstery.
  • Be prepared – In the event of a power outage, have a battery-operated radio, and flashlights on hand. It is also recommended to have a backup generator ready for use. Especially if the power outage lasts an extended period of time, the generator will allow you to continue operating appliances like your refrigerator, heating or cooling system and lighting. If you have someone in your home who relies on a breathing machine, a generator is especially crucial.
  • Use Smoke Detectors – Make sure smoke detectors are installed outside sleeping areas. Even if your smoke detector is hard wired, they need to have a reliable battery backup. Be sure to replace the batteries in the smoke detector at least once a year – even if they seem to be working fine.
  • Ignoring Inconsistencies – Be observant; if you notice a breaker that regularly trips, sparks coming out of an outlet or switch, or the smell of something burning contact a professional immediately. What might be a frustrating inconvenience could actually be a sign of a very dangerous electrical problem if left uncorrected.
  • Not calling an expert – While in many instances, home improvements and repairs can be done by the homeowner with relative ease and little experience, electrical work is very different. Never attempt to make electrical improvements repairs or do any rewiring without proper certification and experience. These tasks are safest when left to a trained professional.
Keep your family safe. Any time you suspect an electrical problem at your home, contact a professional. Mister Sparky® is your “on time electrician,” and we’re extensively trained and experienced to address all your indoor and outdoor electrical needs. We follow all local codes etc. so your job is always done right and safely.

Contact us today to schedule a repair or service.

Share |
View by Month


View by Category